Tuesday, February 28, 2012

.tamale pie. {husband's choice}

This is hands down the BEST recipe EVER. No joke, I know I always say that but seriously. Make this and eat it and you will be naming your next child after me, its just that amazing. The hubby and I ate this entire dish (serves 6) in two days (and we are not big people). I could hardly sleep at night because I could not wait to wake up in the morning and have leftovers for breakfast. Anyways, I can not take all the credit for this recipe. The original recipe can be found here and while you are over there check out her amazing blog. Enjoy!





Ingredients
15 oz. corn bread box (or the equivalent of your homemade version) * I used trader joes. yum
1 lb. ground beef
2 red peppers, diced (any color and amount would do)
1 onion, diced
half bag of frozen corn (this is just how much I had... a can, a bag, whatever)
salsa (any amount to give it some liquid)
sour cream (a couple spoonfuls, again, to moisten it) *I omitted because I didn't have it
cheddar cheese, grated (however much you want)
1 can black beans (if you don't like beans, skip it... or pinto, kidney... all would do)
optional: 1 can of condensed tomato soup (I didn't have any this time and didn't miss it)
optional: chili powder

Preparation
Cook beef. Add peppers + onion and sautee. Add corn to warm it up. Take off heat and add your sour cream, cheese, salsa, beans. Put it all in a 9x12 casserole dish. Take your favorite corn bread mix (already mixed up with the oil + eggs, etc.) and add it right to the top, uncooked, spreading it out evenly. Yeah, it seems weird to add raw corn bread mix to the top of the cooked meat + veggies but that's how it's done. Then cook it for 400 degrees for like 20-25 minutes or so. This is probably different than the corn bread baking directions but it still works. Just make sure the corn bread is truly cooked on top or the underside can be really undercooked since it's right on top of the casserole fixings.

No comments:

Post a Comment