Friday, February 11, 2011

.golf birthday cake.

I made this birthday cake for a dear friend of my mom for his 91st birthday! I sure hope if I live that long I will look as great as Al does. He probably has more energy than I do now! I wish I had a better picture of the cake (especially a picture without me in it) but I dont :( Also, some of the ingredients were difficult for me to find so I improvised. Enjoy!



Ingredients
2 (9-inch) round cakes
1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
Green food coloring
Yellow food coloring
1 ½ cups shredded sweetened coconut
1 cup ground vanilla wafers
1 (4-inch) piece of Fruit by the Foot fruit leather (I just used paper)
1 wheat stick (Pringles) or thin pretzel stick (I used a toothpick)
1 large chocolate chip (I used rolos)
3 white gumballs (I used mentos)

Preparation
Bake the cakes according to package directions. Then trim the top off of one cake so it is flat. Stack the two cakes together with a layer of frosting in between.
Frosting the cake:
Tint the vanilla frosting grass green with the green and yellow food coloring. Spread the green frosting on the top and sides of the cake to cover completely.
To complete the decoration:
Place the coconut in a large resealable bag. Add 2 teaspoons warm water and several drops of green and yellow food coloring. Massage the bag until the coconut is tinted bright green. Add more food coloring if desired for a darker color. Sprinkle and press the coconut over the cake as shown in the photo for the fairway. Leave a few areas open for the sand traps and putting green. Pour the ground vanilla wafers onto the open areas for the sand traps. Fold the fruit leather in half over the end of the wheat stick and press together for the flag. Press the wheat stick flag into the putting green area. Press the chocolate chip, pointed end down, in the putting green area for the hole. place a few white gumballs on the cake for the golf balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment